Saturday, January 2, 2010

Addison's Book Of the Month


We read to Addison every night sometimes 2 or 3 books but they are almost always "kiddie" books. I have decided to revert back to reading her one novel a month like I did when she was younger and had no opinion in the night story department. I would read the kid everything when she was infant. I read the entire Anne of Green Gables collection, Harry Potter and several others because all she needed at that point was to learn vocabulary and to hear my voice. But then she grew, and started chosing her own books. Some weeks I know I have read pinkalicious, purplicious and goldilicious three and four times each! ENOUGH!! We will still continue to read her book selections but I am also gonna squeeze one semi-kid friendly novel in their too! This months selections come from my personal childhood library....... Noel Streatfields "Theatre Shoes". I started with this one because I haven't read it in probably 20 years and the mothers name was Adeline, "Addi" for short! She seems to enjoy that part so far

3 comments:

  1. Let me know how this goes! I also read aloud from whatever novel I was reading to Katie Anne when she was a baby - she's heard the entire book Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand (the best book EVER) read aloud. I would love to start this back up - I have dreams of reading a chapter a night before bedtime with her - but I didn't know if she was ready to start it. I had actually though of starting with something like Junie B. Jones - short, funny, Jones. Let me know how you and Addison do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That really is a great idea! It was an awesome idea to read aloud when she was an infant, so she could hear lots of words and your voice at the same time. I think she can handle it, as long as it sounds like fun coming from Mommy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So far so good Ladies! This is night 2 and Chapter 2 too. Katie the Shoe books are short 3-4 page chapters so a chapter a night is the plan right now. I will post an update of our progress and maybe we can start a junior readers book swap. Trisha -- take note of all these parenting ideas! :)

    ReplyDelete